Monday, July 16, 2007

The Splendor of Boracay

From the moment I arrived in the Philippines I kept hearing over and over and over, "have you been to Boracay yet?" And now I know why they were so inquisitive. Boracay is even better than I could have imagined it. It was how I wish Hawaii was.

Rather than book something advance, essentially meaning it would have to be a resort big and corporate enough to have a web presence, I took my friend Trevor's advice and decided to wing it. Instead of a $100 over the top resort Carrie and I found an amazing bungalo right in the heart of the town. For $40/night we had A/C, hot water, a very nice room in the best of locations. One step out the door of the room and our feet were already being caressed by the warm white sand. A mere ten feet away sat the open air hotel bar, filled with interesting characters from all over the world.



From our seat at the bar we could hear the waves crashing. That's because they were only about another 15 feet away from us. As serene and relaxing as it gets. San Miguel beers were just shy of a $1/beer. But given the tropical locale I had no choice but to stick to my Mango Daquiri's. They cut the mangos fresh for each and every drink. And I'm not saying in the morning. I'm saying you order, they grab three whole mangos, then slice them right there before blending with ice and rum. Delish. The fish was of course fresh and fantastic. Sadly our time was short as I needed to get back to work the following day.



So the trip consisted mainly of relaxing, drinking mango daquiris and walking along the beach. I imagine anyone reading this will shed a tear, and believe me it's much appreciated.

Given that Boracay is just a 35 minute flight and $125 round trip, this will not be our last meeting. Which is good because I didn't get to snorkel and I dropped my camera in the ocean right before heading back to the airport. Doh!


Fetching a new camera has been much more difficult than I had expected. Unlike everything else here in the Philippines, electronics are the same price, if not more. Unless of course you locate some sort of black market. Which I intend to do and already have a few leads as to where I need to go.


In the meantime enjoy the only pictures I have left. And hopefully I'll have the means to share more with you very soon.






























2 comments:

Dean Nelson said...

Looks like a beautiful beach.

Michael Andrews Bashan said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egeekologie%2Ecom%2F

Thrilla in Manilla? Looks like the Filipino prison system beat you to it. I'll be updating further on my Puerto Rican adventures soon. But for now sit back and enjoy the glory!